Richland in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In town founded after the Houston & Texas Central Railroad bypassed older villages. An early store was moved from Pisgah Ridge (5 Mi. W) by J.T. and Prudence Anderson Patrick, who settled in Richland in 1870. They had three sons, Walter, Jim, and Arthur; and one daughter, Willie. First need for a burial site arose in 1895 with death of Mrs. Willie Patrick Brown, wife of Dr. A.N. Brown. An acre for burials was given by the estate of William Marsh Rice, an investor in the H. & T.C., and owner of much land on the line.
A few years later, two adjacent acres were bought from the Rice heirs; still later, three more acres were bought from Mmes. Eva Swink and Jewel Weaver.
Early trustees included Horace Ballew, Dr. A.N. Brown, Shelton Brown, T.B. Skipper, Henry Swink, Fred Tucker, and Clint and Dick Williams. Maintenance for years was done in an annual "All-Day Working". In 1935, Richland Cemetery Association was formed, with Mrs. Dora Anderson as President, and Mrs. Gordon Elkins as Secretary-Treasurer. Many improvements have since been made by the association.
In this cemetery are veterans of the Civil War, World War
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11629.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 31° 55.395′ N, 96° 25.441′ W. Marker is in Richland, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on County Highway SW 2340 near Austin Avenue (State Highway 14). The marker is located at the entrance to the Richland Cemetery which is about 100 feet down the cemetery road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richland TX 76681, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flag Memorial Richland Cemetery (here, next to this marker); First Methodist Church of Richland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Angus Schoolhouse (approx. 5.8 miles away); Annie Carpenter Love (approx. 8.2 miles away); Blind Lemon Jefferson (approx. 9 miles away); The Rev. G.W. Bounds (approx. 9.6 miles away); United Methodist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Wortham Oil Boom (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richland.
Also see . . . Richland, Texas (Navarro County). When the Houston and Texas Central Railway was built through the area in 1871, the station on the Pisgah Ridge (Submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.