Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paulís Evangelical Lutheran Church
German immigrants began settling in Washington County in the 1840s. The first German Lutheran congregation began in 1855 in the community of Berlin.
The growing German Lutheran community in Brenham organized this congregation, first known as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, in 1890 and called The Rev. Gottlieb Langner to serve as pastor. Worship services were held in the local Presbyterian church until a Lutheran sanctuary was built in 1891. It was destroyed in the September 1900 storm which also devastated Galveston and the Texas Gulf Coast. By the end of the year, however, the cornerstone was laid for a new structure.
Worship services were conducted exclusively in the German language until 1902. The name of the congregation officially was changed to St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1915. Continued growth led to the need for larger facilities, and the membership hired Houston architect Alfred C. Finn to design a new sanctuary which was dedicated at this site in 1925. It later was enlarged and remodeled.
Throughout its history, this church has been involved in civic activities and charitable endeavors.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8387.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 9.7′ N, 96° 23.976′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of West Third Street and South Day Street, on the left when traveling west on West Third Street. The marker is located next to the front entrance of the church by the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 West Third Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Rees Sanitarium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brenham Presbyterian Church (approx. ľ mile away); Evangelical Lutheran Colleges of Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southern Pacific Freight Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Brenham Maifest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blinn College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.