Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Rees Sanitarium
Brenham's first hospital. Dr. H. Clay Rees (1864-1914), president of a Waco medical and surgical clinic, built (1897) a 2-story sanitarium on this site. Dispensary and surgery were in a detached building. By 19th century standards, this was an advanced medical complex. But strained by his work here and in Waco, Dr. Rees' health failed. He moved to Kerrville. Enlightened by his pioneering, however, Brenham has had hospitals continuously since 1910. H. Gardner, purchaser of the sanitarium, remodeled it into a residence. Four generations of the Gardner-Robertson-Burgess Family lived (1900-69) in the house.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8379.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 30° 9.69′ N, 96° 23.918′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Austin Street and Houston Street on South Austin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 South Austin Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evangelical Lutheran Colleges of Texas (approx. ¼ mile away); Brenham Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Southern Pacific Freight Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Brenham Maifest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.