First public school in Ky. built by the holding company plan, in which bonds were sold to build the school until construction costs could be paid. Garth was opened in 1926 on the site of the former Georgetown Female Seminary. Bricks from the seminary were used in construction. In 1943, the board of education received title to the property.
The school was named for Edwin Claude Garth, who died in a car accident. His parents gave $10,000 toward the $25,000 land purchase. School served students in grades 1-12 until 1958. In 1974, the city and county school systems merged and Garth became an elementary school. 6-acre campus used as city park when school not in session.
Erected 2016 by Kentucky Historical Society, presented by the Georgetown City Council. (Marker Number 2496.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 12.375′ N, 84° 33.602′ W. Marker is in Georgetown
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Education in Georgetown (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Beginnings of George Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scott County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Royal Spring (approx. ¼ mile away); Remember the Raisin! (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Basil W. Duke, C.S.A. / Basil W. Duke (1838-1916) (approx. ¼ mile away); Birthplace of Bourbon (approx. ¼ mile away); Scott County, 1792 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 20, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.