Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brenham Presbyterian Church
This fellowship was founded in 1877 by the Rev. Warner B. Riggs and a small group of charter members. Within three years there were more than fifty names on the church roll, and a sanctuary had been erected on West Main Street. Despite financial hardships that forced Brenham Presbyterian Church to close for eight years, the congregation continued to provide service and leadership to the community. The present sanctuary, erected in 1913 by the Fourth St. Methodist Church, has served the congregation since 1951.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8310.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 30° 9.576′ N, 96° 24.187′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jackson Street and College Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 South Jackson Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blinn College (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Rees Sanitarium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Prairie Lea Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Moses Baine (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Washington Petty (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mills Roberson “Burney” Parker (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.