Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church
Brenham's first church; was established year Brenham founded, 1844. Early member R.B. Wells wrote and published "Christian Advocate", church magazine of Texas Methodists here in 1846. By 1868 church had reached such stature that the Texas Methodist Conference met here. Group built Giddings Memorial Church in 1879 to honor J.D. Giddings, early settler who organized church. In 1939 merged with Fourth Street Methodist Church, German Methodist group which began in 1872 as New Mission Field. German group established Blinn College in 1883.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8334.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
Location. 30° 10.212′ N, 96° 23.885′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Baylor Street and East Academy Street, on the right when traveling north on North Baylor Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 North Baylor Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerFirst Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); B'Nai Abraham Synagogue (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church of Brenham (about 700 feet away); KTTX/KWHI Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old St. Anthony Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington County All Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.