Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Brenham
Organized with 18 members in 1877, this congregation grew out of the early missionary efforts of A.J. Bush and W.J. Jones. Many prominent Washington County settlers were among its earliest members. The fellowship worshiped at various locations until this sanctuary was completed in 1898. Constructed by noted local builder Alex Griffin, the Gothic Revival church building features round arched and lancet windows and an elaborate tower.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8333.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 10.202′ N, 96° 23.75′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Cottonwood Street and Botts Street, on the right when traveling north on Cottonwood Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 Cottonwood Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist ChurchSite of Old St. Anthony Hotel (about 800 feet away); KTTX/KWHI Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bassett and Bassett Banking House (approx. 0.2 miles away); B'Nai Abraham Synagogue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ross-Carroll House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington County All Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.