Near Onsted in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine
St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, which is still part of the present structure, was constructed in 1854 by Irish pioneers. In 1863 the first Mass was held in the church. The tower and stained-glass windows were added in 1911. In 1928, Father Joseph Pfeffer from St. Mary's in Manchester served here and oversaw the enlargement and remodeling of the church to its present form. The transept was built and nave enlarged, transforming the church to a cruciform plan. The red tile roof, the tower and the use of mosaic, tile and wrought iron in the interior give the church its Spanish Mission flavor.
As part of the 1928 expansion of St. Joseph's Church, a shrine--inspired by the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France--was designed. In 1932 work began on the fourteen outdoor stations of the cross, which depict scenes of the Via Dolorosa (the sorrowful way), that
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S611.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 3.406′ N, 84° 9.908′ W. Marker is near Onsted, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on Michigan Route 12 3 miles east of Highway 50, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8743 US-12, Brooklyn MI 49230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph Shrine (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Pioneers & Father Gabriel Richards (within shouting distance of this marker); An Gorta Mor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named An Gorta Mor (about 500 feet away); Davenport House (approx. 2˝ miles away); St. Michael and All Angels Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Wooden Stone School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Brooklyn's Founder (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Onsted.
Also see . . .
1. Crystal Shrine Grotto. Dionicio Rodriguez also worked on the Crystal Shrine Grotto in Memphis, Tennessee. (Submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. W. H. L. McCourtie Estate. Ralph Corona also worked on bridges on the W. H. L. McCourtie Estate in nearby Somerset Center, Michigan. (Submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on January 21, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.