Imposing … Brick Houses
— Newport News Founders Trail 1607 - 2007 —
Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by 1634, became extinct in 1952 when it was designated the city of Warwick. It merged with Newport News in 1958.
The Cary family of Warwick County owned the large plantation dwelling that once stood on this site. In 1646, Miles Cary, Sr., arrived from England and quickly gained political power and social prominence. Among his many political offices, he served as a member of the House of Burgesses (Virginia's legislature), as well as the county sheriff, justice, militia colonel, and tax collector. Cary was killed during a Dutch raid on Hampton Roads on June 10, 1667. Cary's sons inherited and divided his considerable estate of 5,637 acres.
Miles Cary II (1655-1709) inherited the Richneck portion of his father's estate here near Stoney Run. He built an imposing cruciform brick house where the county held court sessions in the summers. Cary continued his father's legacy of political leadership,
Erected by Newport News Founder's Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 8.834′ N, 76° 31.756′ W. Marker is in South Newport News in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Richneck Road 0.1 miles south of Jefferson Avenue (Virginia Route 143), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 177 Richneck Rd, Newport News VA 23608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesRichneck Plantation (here, next to this marker); Warwick Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Warwick Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Warwick Court House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Olivet Christian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Warwick County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.9 miles away); Windmill Point (approx. 2.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.