Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hogan Funeral Home
In 1914, noted Texas educator Columbus H. Hogan became a founding partner in the Washington County Undertaking Co. on South Park Street in Brenham. It was then the only funeral home in the county for African Americans. Hogan later became sole proprietor and changed the name to Hogan Funeral Home. The vital community business offered ambulance service to other cities including Houston and Galveston, since local hospitals were segregated at the time. The family business continued with son Booker T. Hogan, Sr. taking over in 1935 and moving it to West Main Street four years later. C.H. Hogan, an active civic, fraternal and religious leader, also dedicated land for nearby Willow Grove Cemetery.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14045.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 9.862′ N, 96° 24.559′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of West Alamo Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1002 West Alamo Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blinn College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brenham Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Prairie Lea Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Washington Petty (approx. 0.6 miles away); Moses Baine (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Rees Sanitarium (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.