Greenvine in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Public education in the rural community of Greenvine began in 1880, when the Greenvine School was established near this site. The students, predominantly German in descent and Lutheran and Baptist in faith, began attending classes taught in German at the Emmanuel Lutheran Church parsonage. Classes later were relocated to a site near the Greenvine Baptist Church Cemetery and finally to a building 70 feet south of this site.
A school for local African American children known as the Waller Chapel School (1.75 Mi. SE) was established in 1895. Classes were held in a wood-frame building that also served as a house of worship for the Waller Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church congregation.
In 1949, after schools in the Greenvine, Latium, and Burton communities were consolidated, the Greenvine schools closed. Local students began attending the Burton Rural High School, which offered 12 grades of instruction. The last Greenvine schoolhouse was relocated to the new school site. The Waller Chapel Schoolhouse continued to be used for church services until 1965.
Erected 1992 by Texas
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 30° 6.833′ N, 96° 33.442′ W. Marker is in Greenvine, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2502, 0.1 miles south of Wickel Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton TX 77835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenvine Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenvine Gas Discovery (about 500 feet away); Bethlehem Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Wesley School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wesley School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Wesley Brethren Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. John's United Church of Christ Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Burton Farmers Gin 1914 (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenvine.
Also see . . . Greenvine Texas. In 1860 J. Frank Kiefer, a German Baptist evangelist, conducted a revival in the new community, and the first German Baptist Church in Texas was organized there in 1861. The decline of nearby Vinegrove spurred growth in Greenvine, which had its own post office from 1879 to 1907. (Submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.