Port Isabel in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Port of Matamoros
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4082.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, Mexican-American • War, Texas Independence • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor series list.
Location. 26° 4.699′ N, 97° 12.416′ W. Marker is in Port Isabel, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker can be reached from Maxan Road. Located to the left of Pirates Landing Restaurant and the right of Pirates Landing Pier. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Isabel TX 78578, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Camp Belknap (approx. 8.1 miles away); Battle of Palmito Ranch (approx. 10 miles away); Last Battle of the Civil War (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Matamoros Expedition of 1835-36 - The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
1. Brazos Santiago Harbor
It was also known as Brazos Santiago Harbor, and Los Brazos de Santiago. This naturally occuring deep water harbor, provided a safe anchorage for deep draft sailing vessels, that could not cross the shallow sand bar blocking the mouth of the Rio Grande. Shallow draft river steamboats would lighter the cargo from these deep sea cargo vessels. They would then navigate up river on the Rio Grande as far as Camargo, Tamaulipas, and Rio Grande City, Texas. This naturally occuring deep water harbor, situated in the extreme Northwest corner of the Gulf of Mexico, was also the landing place of Spanish conquistadores, dating as far back as 1519, looking for the elusive Darien Straight, a short cut to China.
— Submitted November 7, 2010, by Joseph P. Linck, Jr of Brownsville, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2009, by Debbi Hook of Laguna Vista, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,139 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 28, 2009, by Debbi Hook of Laguna Vista, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?