Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Felipe School

 
 
San Felipe School Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 29, 2020
1. San Felipe School Marker
Inscription.  

Austin County Historic School Site

This was the location of:
San Felipe School
1880 - 1952


An early Austin County School, this plaque commemorating this historic site was made possible by citizens of Austin County under sponsorship of
Austin County Historical Commission 2004
 
Erected 2004 by Austin County Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 29° 47.934′ N, 96° 5.79′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and Tres Palacios Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4220 6th Street, San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Felipe de Austin Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); San Felipe United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Colonial Well (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welcome to San Felipe de Austin
San Felipe School Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 29, 2020
2. San Felipe School Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Town Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Early Roads To San Felipe (approx. 0.6 miles away); Remembering San Felipe de Austin (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
 
Also see . . .  San Felipe, Texas. TX.San Felipe de Austin, on the west bank of the Brazos River at the Old San Antonio Road crossing, a site now on Interstate Highway 10 two miles east of Sealy in southeastern Austin County, was founded in 1824 by Stephen F. Austin as the unofficial capital of his colony. It became the first urban center in the Austin colony, which stretched northward from the Gulf of Mexico as far as the Old San Antonio Road and extended from the Lavaca River in the west to the San Jacinto River in the east.  Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The site was also used as the Old Town Hall of San Felipe. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 29, 2020
3. The site was also used as the Old Town Hall of San Felipe.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021