Near Ashland City in Cheatham County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Clifton Forebears are Buried in Old Church Cemetery to Southeast
Edwin and Nancy Folks Clifton's home in Halifax Co., N.C. was in two adjoining tracts, both bordering on Great/Deep Creek; 558 a. bought from John Sledge bounded by Edward Elliott, Jack Atkinson, blankBradley, blankJenkins,
On Nov. 16, 1803, Edwin and Nancy deeded an acre of their property on the bank of Great/Deep Creek to trustees Sandford Wilson, Lark Dawson, James Mallory, James Wilson, Willis Johnston, Joshua Vaughan, Edwin Clifton and their successors so that a Methodist meeting house of worship could be built. The deed was witnessed by Lemuel K. Clifton and Jon DeBerry. In 1812, Clifton's Meeting House stood on this acre as seen in Halifax Co., N.C. DB 22:153.
We do not know the relationship between this meeting house and New Hope Methodist Church, but in 1804 we find Edwin Clifton listed as a New Hope trustee with Benj. Nevell, Davis Bagby, Richard Spann, and Larkin Donon. They received one acre on the south side of the road from Stephen Pepper and his wife Mary, on which the trustees shall build a house of worship for the Methodist Episcopal Church, DB 20:126. This land lies 3.8. mi. west of Roanoke Rapids on Hwy. 158.
Samuel A. Clifton and Susanna Kirby were married in Nottoway Par., Southampton Co., Va., Oct. 5, 1763. A complete list of their children is not available, but it may include in addition to Edwin and Lemuel Kirby, Peter Clifton in Bertie Co., N.C., in 1787. It is believed that Susanna died before Samuel followed Edwin to Montgomery Co., TN., possibly before 1811 when we have proof that Samuel was living in Tennessee. Mont. Co. Edwin Clifton vs. Samuel Clifton, possibly part of an estate settlement. Earlier in Halifax Co., N.C. we find court records and land transfers between Lemuel Kirby Clifton to his brother Edwin, begun in 1805 and signed by their father Samuel and registered in 1808.
Their lives have been as an incense before the Lord
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 21.936′ N, 87° 10.669′ W. Marker is near Ashland City, Tennessee, in Cheatham County. Marker is on Tennessee 12 0.1 miles south of Ranch Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3520 TN 12, Ashland City TN 37015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clifton Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Neptune (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Neptune School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pat Head Summitt (approx. 3.4 miles away); Harpeth Shoals (approx. 4˝ miles away); Willie Blount (approx. 7 miles away); Sycamore Mill (approx. 7.7 miles away); Pleasant View (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.