Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Homestead by the Main Road
Built on high ground, Lee Hall Mansion provided a commanding view of the countryside and was visible to travelers on the Great Warwick Road. Lee’s stately home consisted of three floors, 12 rooms and fireplaces and over 6,000 square feet. It served as the headquarters for Confederate generals Joseph E. Johnston and John B. Magruder from March through May 1862. The Confederate War Department rented 8 rooms from Mr. Lee.
Several architectural styles are visible at Lee Hall. Scrolled bracketed cornices support the Italianate porticos and low-hipped roof. The interior contains three original plaster ceiling medallions and a Georgian symmetrical floor plan with rooms opening into a long central hallway. The exterior also has Greek Revival dentils on the architrave and Gothic columns
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 37° 11.982′ N, 76° 34.554′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the grounds of Lee Hall Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Large Brick Kitchen (a few steps from this marker); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (within shouting distance of this marker); Master and Slaves (within shouting distance of this marker); An Earthwork In Front (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee Hall (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Lee Hall (about 800 feet away); Lee Hall Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); C&O "Peninsula Extension" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains a photograph of Lee Hall Mansion, c. 1937. Photo: Works Progress Administration.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located at Lee Hall.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 991 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.