North Newport News in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
An Earthwork in Front
The Confederates had evacuated the Warwick-Yorktown line on May 3, 1862, after a three-week siege. The next morning the Union Army occupied the Confederate earthworks and pursued their retreating enemy. The Federal IV Corps advanced up the Great Warwick Road from Lee’s Mill toward Lee Hall. Brig. Gen. William “Baldy” Smith’s division led the infantry march screened by Capt. William Chambliss’ squadron of the 5th U.S. Cavalry. Elements of the Jeff Davis Legion of Mississippi, covering the Confederate retreat, awaited the Union advance in this redoubt.
In his report Capt. Chamblis wrote, “At the recent headquarters of General Magruder, situated on a commanding eminence, with an earthwork in front, I again discovered the pickets of the enemy, strongly posted in the work and in the rear of
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 11.984′ N, 76° 34.497′ W. Marker is in North Newport News in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the grounds of Lee Hall Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (within shouting distance of this marker); A Large Brick Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker); Master and Slaves (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Homestead by the Main Road (about 300 feet away); Lee Hall (about 400 feet Lee Hall (about 600 feet away); Lee Hall Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); C&O "Peninsula Extension" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Newport News.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker features a photograph of a sketch of Confederates “falling back from the Peninsula, May 1862.” Photo courtesy of the Virginia Historical Society. The right of the marker contains a photograph of Capt. William P. Chambliss, courtesy of USAMHI.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located at Lee Hall.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,171 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.