Somerset General Store
Frank R. Smith was proprietor when his brother in law, Andrew Leutheuser, came to work for him in 1910.
In 1915 Mr. Leutheuser purchased the business, which became known as A. Leutheuser 7 Co. The village and surrounding area were served by the Leutheuser family for a half century.
The store was a source of virtually all the store-bought necessities for village and farm families. It also provided a market for customers wool, grain and other farm commodities.
This building was more than a general store and post office. It was also a social center where patrons would gather to catch up on local news or to attend programs at the community hall above the store where plays and occasional dances were held.
The Somerset Post Office was situated in the general store. Andrew Leutheuser served as postmaster for 36 years.
Plaque Dedicated August 3, 1996
Topics. This historical
Location. 42° 2.912′ N, 84° 22.618′ W. Marker is in Somerset, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Somerset Road and Chicago Road (U.S. 12), on the right when traveling south on Somerset Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerset MI 49281, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate (approx. 1.7 miles away); Woodstock Manual Labor Institute (approx. 3˝ miles away); Clearwater Beach Entrance (approx. 5.8 miles away); Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot (approx. 6.8 miles away); Rollin Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); Brooklyn's Founder (approx. 7.7 miles away); Brooklyn Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Wooden Stone School (approx. 8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.