Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Town Hall
The construction of Town Hall began in 1798. Completed the following year, this was the first structure in Wilmington built for government use. It was designed by a building committee which followed the Borough Council’s request that the structure be “built in a plain and handsome manner.” The building’s style reflects the preference for efficient, unobtrusive government, and the Quaker ideal of unornamented design preferred by the Society of Friends, who had a large presence in the city at that time.
For its first one hundred years, Town Hall served as the center for important governmental proceedings and community activities. Town meetings, elections, exhibits, the naturalization of new citizens, court activities, and private gatherings all took place here. Numerous groups used Town Hall as their headquarters, including the Philosophical Society, the Freemasons, the Library Company, and two early fire companies. By 1916, city government had outgrown Town Hall, and it was sold to the Historical Society of Delaware[.]
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the Quakerism ⛪ series lists.
Location. 39° 44.501′ N, 75° 33.026′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 N Market Street, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F.&A.M. (here, next to this marker); Willingtown Square (a few steps from this marker); Brown v. Board of Education (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln's Speech (about 600 feet away); Thomas Garrett (about 600 feet away); Old Farmers Bank (about 800 feet away); "Sign of the Ship" Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,423 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on January 25, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.