Odem in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Odem First Baptist Church
On Sunday, April 28, 1912, Baptists of Odem organized their own congregation. Rev. R.A. Cohran, General Missionary of the Blanco Association, was called to assist. With J.F. Janicke as clerk and W.B. Jones as moderator, Rev. Cohran read the Articles of Faith and Church Covenant, which were adopted by the church. With no building of their own, the congregation met once a month at the Methodist Church. Later the Odem Town Site Company donated land at Kline and Sellers streets, and a frame sanctuary was completed. In the 1930s, baptisms were performed at Sinton and Sodville.
The church later moved to Turner Street, with several members contributing labor and materials for a new building. R.G. McDaniel, Superintendent of Odem schools, was Chairman of the Building Committee and painted the new church, built for $15,000. The first services in the new sanctuary were held in May 1935. A two-bedroom parsonage was completed in 1941. The membership numbered 160 at this time and the Sunday school was growing. However, the church was unable to secure building materials during World War II. A 1943 candlelight service honored church members
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17322.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 28, 1912.
Location. 27° 56.855′ N, 97° 35.242′ W. Marker is in Odem, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of West Turner Street and Haisley Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Turner Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 West Turner Street, Odem TX 78370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Odem (approx. 0.3 miles away); Odem Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); White Point / RositaEarly Odem Area Schools (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church of Christ and Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Nuecestown (approx. 6.4 miles away); Nuecestown Raid (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odem.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.