Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Port of Brownsville
The first serious attempt to study the possibility of construction of a deep water seaport in this part of South Texas was undertaken in 1854 when a survey was conducted by United States Army engineers. At that time, the only natural harbor in the area was located at Brazos de Santiago Pass near Point Isabel (16 mi. NE). Shipping through that pass dated to the 16th Century, but the presence of shifting sandbars prevented large vessels from anchoring at that point.
In 1906 Louis Cabolini, a commercial fisherman in Point Isabel, took on the cause for a deep water port. He compiled data that convinced U.S. Army engineers that such an undertaking was practical and deserved federal economic support. During the next 20 years, various attempts at dredging channels and eliminating the sandbars were made without much success.
Recognizing the need for deep water transportation to assure sound economic growth, the citizens of Brownsville created a navigation district in 1929 to provide local support for the Federal Government to build a deep water port. Between 1934 and 1936, this ship channel, linking Brownsville and the Gulf of
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Committee. (Marker Number 4080.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 25° 57.062′ N, 97° 24.678′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of Capt Donald L Foust Road and North Indiana Street, on the right when traveling east on Capt Donald L Foust Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Capt Donald L Foust Road, Brownsville TX 78521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1912 Cameron County Jail (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named 1912 Cameron County Jail (approx. 6 miles away); Campo Santo Viejo (approx. 6.1 miles away); Field-Pacheco Complex (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Field/Pacheco Complex (approx. 6.1 miles away); 1912 Cameron County Courthouse (approx. 6.1 miles away); Historic Battlefield Trail (approx. 6.2 miles away); Cameron County (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Also see . . . Brownsville Texas. Brownsville (Submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.