Commerce in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Designed by Greenville architects George Lindsey and Roy Kilmer in 1927, the President's House was built on land purchased from Daniel and Annie Bachman. The house exhibits an understated adaptation of Georgian revival style elements in its dark red brick and white trim with simple classical details. After the construction of a new president's house in 1968, the house served as offices. In 1995, the home was renamed "Heritage House" and restored to its 1930s appearance for use as a heritage center.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12091.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 33° 14.564′ N, 95° 54.32′ W. Marker is in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Stonewall Street and Campbell Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Commerce TX 75428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. East Texas State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. ChennaultSite of Commerce Churches (approx. 0.4 miles away); Centennial of Methodism in Commerce (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Commerce (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Commerce (approx. half a mile away); Site of Early Commerce Schools (approx. half a mile away); First Christian Church of Commerce (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.