Commerce in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Josiah Hart Jackson, Texas Ranger
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas 1839. In 1850s opened Jackson's Store, 1 mi. NE of here, starting "Cow Hill," a village with race track, blacksmith shop, other stores. He became postmaster and renamed place Ashland, 1873. But moved post office here to Commerce, at city's birth. Married Sarah A. Maddox in 1841; had 6 children. After her death, married Elvira Jernigan Hart.
Recorded - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7807.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 33° 14.94′ N, 95° 53.415′ W. Marker is in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Rosemound Street east of Sycamore Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is at the Rosemound Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Commerce TX 75428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Moriah Temple Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Early Commerce Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); Commerce Post Office Bruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1 (approx. half a mile away); Jernigin's Store (approx. half a mile away); First Christian Church of Commerce (approx. half a mile away); Historical Stop - Downtown Commerce (approx. 0.6 miles away); Incorporation of Commerce (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce.
More about this marker. The marker's title is as shown in the Atlas of Texas Historic Sites of the Texas Historical Commission.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.