Commerce in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Commerce
During the 1850s a number of families from the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) settled in the Commerce area and began worshiping together. Services were held in the schoolhouse built on land purchased from William Jernigin in 1872 and later in the Union Church erected in 1880 on Live Oak Street. The Christian Church of Commerce was formally organized in Nov. 1890 during evangelistic services conducted by the Rev. A. C. Henry. The congregation purchased this property in 1891 and completed its first church building in 1893.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7790.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 14.929′ N, 95° 53.898′ W. Marker is in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Street and Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling south on Park Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Commerce TX 75428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commerce Post Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jernigin's StoreBruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1 (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Commerce (about 700 feet away); Incorporation of Commerce (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Stop - Downtown Commerce (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Early Commerce Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Commerce Churches (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.