Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shady Grove Community
Republic of Texas President Sam Houston granted two tracts of land to Charles F. Mercer on which to settle families in January 1844. Included in Mercer's colony were 6,500 square miles of land around this site. Among the earliest settlers here were members of the Concord Missionary Baptist Church, organized in August 1844 by the Reverend Benjamin Watson on a site that later became the Shady Grove Cemetery. A log structure soon was erected to serve as both church and school. The Greenville Post Office, which probably served Shady Grove, was established in 1847. The Rev. Mr. Watson and James A. Burnett deeded one acre of land to the Concord church in 1852. Watson also is credited with building the first flour mill in Hunt County in 1849.
In the final days of the Civil War, James S. and Elizabeth Alexander settled in the community with their family. They gave the land for a new schoolhouse. James Burnett voted to name it "Alexander" for its benefactors, but others preferred the name Shady Grove for the number of large shade trees nearby. The community took on the school's name. The Alexanders also built a cotton gin, corn mill and
The Baptist Church remained active in 1999. The story of Shady Grove community is a vital part of the history of Hunt County.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12093.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1844.
Location. 33° 7.958′ N, 95° 59.867′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Highway 499 west of Highway 24, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Humboldt Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ende-Gaillard House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fred Douglass Elementary School (approx. 5.7 miles away); Gen. Hal C. Horton Home (approx. 5.8 miles away); Benjamin D. Martin (approx. 5.9 miles away); Greenville Cotton Compress (approx. 5.9 miles away); Lallie P. Carlisle (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 27, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.