Hudson in St. Croix County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
112 Walnut Street
When the Star & Times newspaper moved into the building in 1894, the imposing cast iron columns that flank the front entrance were put in place. These columns were a local product manufactured by Henry Orme's North Hudson Foundry. The facade was also updated and large front windows were installed, including a stained glass "star" above the front door. After 93 years at that location, the newspaper (now the Star Observer) moved to Locust Street.
In 1989, Hollis and Sylvia Grubb purchased the building and opened the Valley Bookseller which later became Downtown Books.
In 1998, Rebecca Erickson and John Mingo became the new owners of this historic building. In 2002 the facade of the building which had been painted in
Dedicated to Hudson's friend Willis "Willy" Miller
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 44° 58.484′ N, 92° 45.447′ W. Marker is in Hudson, Wisconsin, in St. Croix County. Marker is on Walnut Street east of 1st Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the northwest corner of the subject building, facing Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Walnut Street, Hudson WI 54016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hudson Toll Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In the Summer of 1910 (about 400 feet away); Louis Massey (approx. half a mile away); Bicentennial Monument (approx. 3.4 miles away in Minnesota); World War Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away in Minnesota); The St. Croix River Valley / Welcome to Minnesota (approx. 3˝ miles away in Minnesota); Bolles Flour Mill (approx. 4.7 miles away in Minnesota); Building a Bridge (approx. 4.7 miles away in Minnesota). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hudson.
Regarding 112 Walnut Street. Contributing property in the Second Street Commercial District, National Register of Historic Places #84000067.
Also see . . . Hudson Star-Observer serving readers for 158 years. The Hudson Star-Observer holds the distinction of being the longest continually run business in Hudson and one of the oldest newspapers in the upper Mississippi Valley. Today's Star-Observer is an outgrowth of 10 newspapers which published in the city of Hudson from pioneer days until 1909, when the name "Hudson Star-Observer" was adopted. This paper was first known as the "North Star" and was founded by E.R. Otis and Dr. Otis Hoyt in 1854. Subsequent names have included "Shield and Banner," "Pathfinder," "Hudson Chronicle," "Hudson City Times" and "Hudson Star & Times" until its current name. (Submitted on January 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.