Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Three years after Edwin C. Couch and Robert Reeves founded the city of Weslaco in 1919, Couch deeded this block as a city park. In 1928, city officials hired Architect Paul G. Silber and his San Antonio Argentum Development Corporation to build a hotel here. The four-story Spanish Colonial Revival structure became a social center when it opened December 31, 1928. Groups such as the city's Camarillo Dance Club and local service clubs met in the hotel ballroom, which also served as the site of graduations and political rallies. The business changed hands throughout the 20th century, and today the hotel remains a symbol of an era in Valley history marked by civic pride and community progress.
260 South Texas Avenue
Built in 1928
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13091.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 260 South Texas Boulevard, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weslaco (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weslaco City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weslaco Water Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texsun Corporation (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Weslaco (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.