Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Weslaco City Hall
Erected in 1928, this structure replaced a frame community building at this site. City founder Ed Couch (1879-1944) and Mayor David E. Kirgan (1877-1936) led ceremonies marking the building's completion. Prominent Weslaco architect R. Newell Waters designed the city hall with Spanish Colonial style detailing. Intricate cast stone sculpture adorns the entryway and cupola. Spanish tiles with colorful geometric patterns decorate the interior stairway.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5755.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 9.415′ N, 97° 59.392′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and South Kansas Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East 5th Street. The marker is located in front of the historic Weslaco City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East 5th Street, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Weslaco (here, next to this marker); Texsun Corporation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Weslaco (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Cortez Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weslaco Water Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Also see . . . .
Weslaco, about fifteen miles west of Harlingen in south central Hidalgo County, is on U.S. Highway 83 and Farm Road 88. The site was part of the Llano Grande grant to Juan José Ynojosa de Ballí (1790). Upon Ynojosa's death the grant was divided among his children, and Manuela and María received the land on which Weslaco is situated. The Ballí family ranched and maintained ownership until 1852. In 1904 the Hidalgo and San Miguel extension of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway reached the site, promoted by Uriah Lott, Lon C. Hill, Jr. and others interested in developing the area through farming as opposed to traditional Hispanic ranching. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.