Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
In 1920, area Presbyterians built a manse under the supervision of the Rev. Horace N. Cunningham; services were held in the building. In January 1921, seven charter members organized First Presbyterian Church. They completed a church building in 1923; it was replaced in 1951 by a larger church, designed by noted area architect and church member, William C. Baxter. Members have long worked with the needy, including outreach activities for low-income residents on the U.S. - Mexico border. The congregation also supported organization of the Spanish-speaking San Pablo Presbyterian Church. Today, First Presbyterian Church of Weslaco continues to serve as a spiritual leader in the community.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16277.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 9.413′ N, 97° 59.262′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Iowa Avenue and East 5th Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 709 South Iowa Avenue, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weslaco City Hall (about 700 feet away); Weslaco (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church of Weslaco (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texsun Corporation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cortez Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco Water Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.