Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Rev. E.J. Moebus was sent by officials of the Texas District of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod to establish Lutheran congregations in the Rio Grande Valley. Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church organized at Mercedes on October 30, 1910. The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Co. gave property located along the railroad tracks to the group, and the church's first building was dedicated on May 28, 1911. The congregation later sold the property and purchased land on Washington and West Third streets. Although the original church building was moved to the new location in 1920, another structure was built and dedicated on the site in 1929. In 1945, the church was renamed Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. (2009)
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15788.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 8.937′ N, 97° 55.076′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of West Third Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 West Third Street, Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (approx. ¼ mile away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mercedes City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 0.4 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.