Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church
In 1908, the Capisallo Land Company donated land to the Oblate Fathers for construction of a Catholic church. Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church on Hidalgo Street was dedicated in February 1909 and Rev. Enrique Janvier, OMI, became the first pastor in 1912. In 1910, the land company donated four acres for a Catholic cemetery. A parochial school, under direction of the Sisters of Mercy, operated from 1915 to 1961. Under Father Ivor Gourmelen, a new brick church was built at Third and Vermont Streets and dedicated on October 29, 1922. Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church was the mother church for seven other Catholic churches and fostered a dozen missions in Hidalgo and Cameron Counties.
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17248.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 8.922′ N, 97° 55.224′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Vermont Avenue and West 3rd Street, on the leftTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 South Vermont Avenue, Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. half a mile away); Mercedes City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. half a mile away); Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.