Mendocino in Mendocino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
— National Register of Historic Places —
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 39° 18.289′ N, 123° 47.984′ W. Marker is in Mendocino, California, in Mendocino County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles west of Lansing Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level beside the Ford House Main Street entry gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45035 Main Street, Mendocino CA 95460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple Kwan Tai (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mendocino Masonic Hall (about 700 feet away); Mendocino Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Point Cabrillo Light Station (approx. 3.2 miles away); History Pivots on a Rock (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Parrish Family Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Captain Fletcher and the Navarro InnRunway! (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendocino.
Regarding Ford House. National Register of Historic Places #10000394.
Also see . . .
1. Jerome B. Ford. Jerome Bursley Ford was born in Vermont in 1821. At the age of 28, he came to San Francisco to work for Henry Meiggs. Unexpectedly in 1851, Meiggs sent him north to search for the wreck of the Frolic off the Mendocino coast. While Ford found nothing worth salvaging from the Frolic, he did spot treasure of another sort: giant redwood trees. Ford purchased land for $100 from William Kasten, the original settler, and staked a claim for Mendocino's first sawmill at the headlands of Big River. (Submitted on January 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Fords who first occupied the Ford House in Mendocino, California. In 1854 Jerome Ford decided to go back east to marry Martha Hayes. He arranged with E.C. Williams to have this house built on the headlands in his absence. It was the second house built with lumber from the mill in Mendocino. (Submitted on January 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 31, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.