Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fernvale

 
 
Fernvale Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 31, 2021
1. Fernvale Marker
Inscription.  In 1819, Samuel and Ollie Jones Smith settled along the South Harpeth River near the sulphur springs. In 1879, John B. McEwen purchased Smith's Springs, renamed it Fernvale, and developed a popular summer resort. In 1904, railroad executive William Pepper Bruce bought the resort with 3,500 acres and operated the hotel until it burned in 1910. Fernvale Methodist church, organized in 1849, was built in 1885. Fernvale Church of Christ, organized in 1907, moved to its present building in 1950. Area schools were Bedford, Cherokee, Coldwater, Forest Glen, and Fernvale. Other historic families include Allen, Beasley, Givens, Harrison, Hughes, Inman, Ivy, Jones, King, Kirby, Page, Pewitt, Sullivan, and White.
 
Erected 2000 by Williamson County Historical Commission; in memory of col. John B. McEwen by Great Grandson Samuel M. Fleming.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
 
Location. 35° 57.357′ N, 87° 4.518′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Williamson County. Marker is on Old Harding Road (Old State Highway 96) 0.2 miles north of Fernvale Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5341 Old Harding Rd, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Caney Fork Furnace (approx. 2.4 miles away); Horn Tavern Springs / Pasadena (approx. 3.1 miles away); Kingfield (approx. 3.2 miles away); Marion’s Rifles, CSA / Baxter’s Company Tennessee Light Artillery, CSA (approx. 3.3 miles away); Evangeline Bowie, M.D. (approx. 3.7 miles away); Triangle School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Jingo Post Office / Triangle School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hudgins Cemetery / Union Valley (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Fernvale Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 31, 2021
2. Fernvale Marker
Mayfield Spring image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 31, 2021
3. Mayfield Spring
The Mayfield Spring sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 31, 2021
4. The Mayfield Spring sign
Mayfield Spring image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 31, 2021
5. Mayfield Spring
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 31, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=166012

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024