Pharr in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Pharr School
Erected in 1911 as a one-story structure, this building housed the first school in Pharr. John Bales, the contractor, built a number of the town's early structures. Classes were held here until 1915, when enrollment had grown from nine students to almost 80. During that time, the building also served as a community church. In 1915 Pharr and San Juan joined to construct a two-story school on the east edge of Pharr. This structure was used for many years as a residence. It was remodeled as a convalescent center in 1949.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1809.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 26° 11.521′ N, 98° 10.952′ W. Marker is in Pharr, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of East Cherokee Avenue and South Athol Street, on the right when traveling east on East Cherokee Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 East Cherokee Avenue, Pharr TX 78577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kiwanis Club of Pharr (here, next to this marker); Pharr Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Pharr City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Pharr (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Pharr (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buell School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guadalupe Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Paris Gum Factory (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pharr.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.