Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
This is the site of the ballpark where the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League played from May 2, 1939, through September 5, 1957. More than 1,700 games were played in the park, which had a seating capacity of 11,200.
The Stars won pennants in 1949, 1952 and 1953. Some of their well-known players were Frank Kelleher, Chuck Stevens, Gus Zernial, Johnny Lindell, Irv Noren, Jack Salveson, Lee Walls and Carlos Bernier. Among the best known managers were Fred Haney and Bobby Bragan. The park closed after the 1957 season and was demolished in 1958.
Erected 1997 by Pacific Coast League Historical Society, CBS Inc., and the A.F.Gilmore Company.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
Location. 34° 4.517′ N, 118° 21.484′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Beverly Boulevard and Genesee Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Located at Television City studios - Not open to the public.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rancho La Brea Adobe (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1934: The Night of the Long Knives (about 800 feet away); The History of Gilmore Oil Company 1900-1945 (approx. ¼ mile away); Chester Stock, Ph.D. - Observation Pit (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hancock Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Berlin Wall Segments (approx. 0.9 miles away); Carthay Circle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jedediah Strong Smith (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
Regarding Gilmore Field. The Hollywood Stars were a minor league baseball franchise owned by George Burns, Gracie Allen, Gary Cooper, Cecil B. DeMille, Walt Disney, William Frawley, George Stevens, and Bing Crosby. Located nearby on the Gilmore Oil property were Gilmore Stadium, used for football and midget car racing, the Gilmore Drive-In theater, the Gilmore Adobe, the Pan-Pacific Auditorium, and the original Farmers Market. When the Brooklyn Dodgers moved west, Gilmore Field was demolished and the property was acquired by CBS, who built the Television City studios on the site. The plaque is mounted on studio 46, which can only be accessed when attending a television show taping.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 2, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.