Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Trenton Battle Monument
This monument is erected by the Trenton Battle Monument Association to commemorate the victory gained by the American Army over the forces of Great Britain in this town on the 25th day of December Anno Domini 1776
(On the front door):
All our hopes were blasted by that unhappy affair at Trenton
From the speech of Lord George Germain, Colonial Secretary of State of King George III in British House of Commons, May 3, 1779
Erected 1893 by Society of the Cincinnati in the State of New Jersey.
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 13.55′ N, 74° 45.887′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of North Warren Street (U.S. 206) and North Broad Street (U.S. 206), on the right when traveling south on North Warren Street. Marker is at north end of a stretch of US 206 which is split into one-way streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08618, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Trenton Battle Monument (here, next to this marker); Black Soldiers and Patriots (a few steps from this marker); Mount Zion A.M.E. Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Headquarters of Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall (approx. ¼ mile away); Fitch’s Shop (approx. ¼ mile away); John Fitch’s Gun Shop (approx. ¼ mile away); Route Taken by Washington (approx. ¼ mile away); Town Hall and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this monument. The monument commemorates the Revolutionary War Battle of Trenton, fought Dec. 26, 1776. It cost approximately $60,000, with funds provided by the state of New Jersey ($15,000), Congress ($30,000) and private citizens of the state ($15,000). Land for the monument was acquired in 1886 and the cornerstone was laid on Dec. 26, 1891 on the 115th anniversary of the Battle. The monument was designed by John Hemingway Duncan; the Washington sculpture by William Rudolf O'Donovan.
Bronze relief plaques are mounted on three sides. The plaques depict Washington crossing the Delaware, the opening of the Battle of Trenton, and the surrender of the Hessians. These plaques are reproductions of ones made by Thomas Eakins and Charles Henry Niehaus.
Inside the monument is an elevator that rises through the monument's 150-foot tall granite Roman Doric column. A view from the observation deck near the top of the monument is provided in picture seven.
Also see . . . Trenton Battle Monument Information on SIRIS. SIRIS is the Smithsonian Institute Research Information System, an online, searchable database of outdoor American Sculpture. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,829 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on February 2, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 11, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. 9, 10, 11. submitted on March 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 12, 13. submitted on December 30, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.