St. Joseph Catholic Church
St. Joseph Catholic Church has been located here since the parish's formation in 1845. Tiffin was established by Josiah Hedges in 1822, and shortly after, many German Catholic families began to settle in the area. They formed part of St. Mary's parish until 1845, when they obtained permission from Bishop John Purcell of the Diocese of Cincinnati to organize as the separate congregation of St. Joseph. In May 1845, parishioners bought two acres of land at the conjunction of Melmore and South Washington Streets. Within the month, they laid the cornerstone for a 40-foot by 66-foot brick church that would be completed by August of that year. As the congregation grew, Rev. Joseph Bihn, pastor from 1856 to 1873, saw the need for a new church.
The original St. Joseph's was demolished in 1860 but the parish built a new Gothic-style church at the same location. Consecrated in September 1862, the new building measured 140 feet by 60 feet with a 180-foot-high spire. Construction cost only $25,000 because parishioners furnished most of the labor and building materials. In April 1934, lightning struck the steeple, causing a fire that destroyed
Erected 2020 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation; Seneca County Historical Society; St. Joseph Catholic Church; Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 14-74.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series lists.
Location. 41° 6.54′ N, 83° 10.513′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is on Melmore Street (Ohio Route 100) just south of Coe Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Melmore St, Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Electric Illumination, 1884 (approx. 0.3 miles away); State's First Female Lawyers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Founding of TiffinRezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Ball (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Ball (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Noble (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiffin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.