Palm Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wall Springs Park History
[panel 1: 1905]
This reproduction of a postcard dated 1905 is one of the earliest pictures of Wall Springs. Purchased by Charles F. Wall from the State of Florida in 1876, Wall Springs soon became a popular recreation destination by the end of the century.
On the right half of the photograph were the popular bathing houses situated near where the boardwalk is now around Boggy Bayou located in the center left half of the photograph.
[panel 2: 1926]
By 1926, Wall Springs had become a nationally known health destination because of the reputed benefits of its colorless, tasteless and odorless alkaline waters.
The Orange Belt Railway erected a depot between Brevard and Hillsborough Street and the Pinellas Trail located to the left, just beyond the chain-link fence. This enabled wealthy vacationers throughout the nation direct access to Wall Springs.
In this 1926 photograph, there are additions to the bathing houses and new amenities such as a slide and diving boards. Also provided were picnic pavilions and a concession stand.
[panel 3: 1927]
In 1927, the Wall family sold the spring
Another publicity gimmick hyped by Davis was the continuation of the myth that Spanish Explorer Ponce de Leon discovered the spring and upon gazing on its crystal clear water, he remarked that the silhouette of the spring's vent reminded him of his wife.
[panel 4: 1949]
Harry W. Davis eventually sold the spring to the Cullen Family of Palm Harbor, Florida in 1949. The Cullen Family, changing the name back to Wall Springs, operated the spring as a commercial recreational facility. The Cullen Family added many new amenities such as a volleyball court, horseshoes, baseball field, three picnic shelters and paths for hiking and nature study.
The Cullen family eventually closed the spring to the public in 1966 due to high insurance premiums and liability concerns.
The photograph is a reproduction of a post card from the early 1950's showing Wall springs during the time of the Cullen ownership.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 28° 6.39′ N, 82° 46.341′ W. Marker is in Palm Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Desoto Boulevard and Brevard Street. Marker is comprised of four related panels along the boardwalk encircling the springhead in Wall Springs Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3725 Desoto Boulevard, Palm Harbor FL 34683, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Blue Heron Hotel and Faith Mission (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gulf Shore Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rheba Sutton White Chapel (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ozona Village Hall (approx. 2˝ miles away); Craig Park War Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Ignatius of Antioch Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Tarpon Springs Sponge Industry (approx. 3˝ miles away); Rose Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. A Historic Spa, Right Here in Palm Harbor. People traveled from all over to make the springs a part of their vacation. Local hotels sprung up (no pun intended) and catered to the welcomed visitors who brought economic growth (Submitted on February 3, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Wall Springs Park. Pinellas County began acquiring the Wall Springs property in 1988, with the initial purchase of approximately 63 acres, which included the spring and surrounding area. Pinellas County has continued to acquire additional property since their initial purchase with the most recent acquisitions in December, 2008 and April, 2009. (Submitted on February 3, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 3, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.