Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On October 8, 1908, Isadore Moritz published the first issue of the Mercedes Enterprise. He continued the operation until 1914; that same year, Ben E. Brooks and L.T. Hoyt began the Mercedes Tribute. Another paper, the News-Item, started in 1922 and merged with the Tribune seven years later to form the News-Tribune. Paul Netz bought the franchise in 1941 and restored the original name. The newspaper has chronicled major national and international events, as well as community stories. The Enterprise has documented local history through special anniversary editions and has offered printing services, including bilingual publications, to area school districts, businesses and agencies.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14021.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 26° 8.966′ N, 97° 54.799′ W. Marker was in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker was on South Texas Avenue 0.1 miles south of West 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 230 South Texas Avenue, Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (about 400 feet away); Mercedes City Hall (about 600 feet away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. half a mile away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the marker before its disappearance or when it is replaced. • Can you help?