Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newton in Harvey County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 3, 2014
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Twenty persons met in a vacant store on the east side of Main, midway between Sixth and Broadway, on July 7, 1872 to hear a sermon and to organize one of Newton's oldest Protestant churches. On March 25, 1875 the cornerstone was laid for a new church located on the second block of West Sixth on property donated by the Newton Town Co. The first regular minister was Rev. Nelson K. Crowe. This site at Seventh and Main was purchased for $3200 and included stone and masonry that had been brought in for the proposed Hotel Madrid. The building on West Sixth was moved here in 1901 and was used for services during construction of a new church. It was given a brick veneer and incorporated into the new structure as its chapel. Dedication of the completed structure which contained a fine pipe organ took placed April 9, 1905. This church was used until a new edifice was dedicated on June 19, 1960 at 900 Columbus.
 
Erected 1994 by First Presbyterian Church and Harvey County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion.
 
Location.
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 3, 2014
2. First Presbyterian Church
38° 3.08′ N, 97° 20.697′ W. Marker is in Newton, Kansas, in Harvey County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 15) and East 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker is located in front of the new county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton KS 67114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Harvey County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ragsdale Opera House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Masonic Lodge (about 500 feet away); Anderson Book and Office Supply (about 600 feet away); Coastal Defense Cannon (about 700 feet away); Unknown Dead of the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe Steam Locomotive #1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Jacob Krehbiel Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
 
First Presbyterian Church and Courthouse Postcard View image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, ca. 1910s
3. First Presbyterian Church and Courthouse Postcard View
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021