Platting of Portsmouth, 1803 / The 1810 House / The 1812 Era / Flood Gate House / Early Boneyfiddle
Floodwall Murals, 2000 Feet of History/2000 Feet of Art
Platting of Portsmouth, 1803
This mural includes a freehand sketch by Henry Massie and shows Massie at a surveyor's desk drawing the original plat of Portsmouth. The city of Portsmouth, Ohio was not officially founded until 1815, but the original purchase of land and the platting occurred in 1803. Each of the 258 lots sold for $50, while the land outside the plat was only $10 per acre. Many of the original streets carry the same names today. In December of 1814, the Ohio State Legislature passed a statute incorporating Portsmouth as a town. The statute became effective on March 1, 1815.
The 1810 House
The 1810 House was built by Aaron Kinney and originally faced south. In later years, the entrance was changed to face west. The house now serves as a museum for local history and is administered by the Scioto County Historical Society. Located at 1926 Waller Street in Portsmouth, the 1810 House represents the courage of pioneers who cleared, settled and cultivated the wild forest near the mighty Ohio River. Visitors come in close contact with the past, instead of through glass panes and roped-off areas, walking
The 1812 Era
Adjacent to the 1810 House is a scene of Brig. General Robert Lucas returning from battle in northern Ohio during the War of 1812. Robert Lucas joined the state militia to fight the War of 1812 and returned to Scioto County as a Major General. He was elected Governor of Ohio in 1832. Tecumseh, the great Shawnee warrior, is depicted in the cloud overseeing the migration of his people westward out of the Ohio River Valley.
Flood Gate House
The present-day flood gate house simulates construction of a stone building in early Boneyfiddle. Dafford paints a house under construction. He utilizes a floodwall pumping station that protrudes from the wall. He then "ties” the rafters and the man working on the roof to the top of this new cabin (pumping station).
Note the cat who sits at the bottom of the door. It belonged to one of Robert Dafford's daughters. The mural committee held a contest for the local schools to name the cat. Woodrow Wilson Elementary won and the cat was named Woodrow.
Because of its accessibility to the Ohio River. Robert Dafford demonstrates his talent as a muralist as he paints a peaceful 1800's riverfront scene. Several steamboats, a horse and wagon, residents
Today, you can walk in the Historic Boneyfiddle District and discover numerous unique shops filled with items from antiques and collectibles to food and ice cream! (Marker Number 3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio, Portsmouth, Floodwall Murals series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 1, 1815.
Location. 38° 43.845′ N, 83° 0.075′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, Ohio, in Scioto County. Marker is on Front Street just west of Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Court St, Portsmouth OH 45662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stagecoach / Hanging Rock Region / Ohio and Erie Canal / Early Industries (within shouting distance of this marker); Introduction / The Mound Builders / Early Shawnee Village, 1730 / Celeron de Blainville, 1749 (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexandria / Alexandria Flood / Stone House / Court Street Gateway (within shouting distance of this marker); Portsmouth and the Ohio River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flood of 1937
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 4, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.