La Feria in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First Bank in La Feria
The Cameron County Bank of La Feria, this community's first bank, occupied this structure soon after it was founded in 1912. The building was erected by W.A. Strickland, a well-known contractor here. Organized as a private institution, the bank received a state charter in 1913. Its founder was Illinois-born Bailey H. Dunlap (1886-1957), who served as first mayor of La Feria in 1915. The bank was rechartered as the First National Bank of La Feria in 1925. After it moved to new quarters in 1927, this building was occupied by other businesses.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4782.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 26° 9.456′ N, 97° 49.434′ W. Marker is in La Feria, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Oleander Avenue, on the left when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 North Main Street, La Feria TX 78559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the First Baptist Church of La Feria (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of La Feria (about 700 feet away); La Feria Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Solis Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 5.4 miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 5½ miles away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. 5½ miles away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Feria.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.