San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Benedictís Church
The original St. Benedict's Church was erected in 1910, two years before the congregation became parish, and was destroyed by fire in 1923. This brick structure was built to replace it in 1925, under the leadership of Father Yvo Tymen, O.M.I. (1879-1977), who served as pastor of St. Benedict's from 1921 to 1937. In addition to this church, he supervised the construction of a rectory and renovation of school facilities damaged by a 1933 hurricane.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4439.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 7.832′ N, 97° 38.149′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bowie Street and West Powers Street, on the right when traveling east on South Bowie Street. The marker is located to the southwest of the entrance to the St. Benedict's Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 351 South Bowie Street, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Water District Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Getsemani Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic U.S. Post Office (approx. half a mile away); First Methodist Church of San Benito (approx. half a mile away); San Benito Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Matanza of 1915 (approx. 3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.6 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.