Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant
Erected 2006 by The Culture and Heritage Commission of York County. (Marker Number 46-36.)
Topics. This historical Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 34° 55.518′ N, 81° 1.597′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on E Main Street (State Highway 1) near North Oakland Avenue (U.S. 21), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 E Main Street, Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (here, next to this marker); McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins / "Friendship Nine" (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (about 600 feet away); Rock Hill (about 700 feet away); Rock Hill Depots / Rock Hill Street Railway (about 800 feet away); First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rock Hill Cotton Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Bill Monroe. William Smith Monroe (September 13, 1911 – September 9, 1996) was an American musician who helped develop the style of music known as bluegrass, which takes its name from his band, the "Blue Grass Boys," named for Monroe's home state of Kentucky. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. The Delmore Brothers. Alton Delmore (December 25, 1908 - June 8, 1964) and Rabon Delmore (December 3, 1916 - December 4, 1952), billed as The Delmore Brothers, were country music pioneers and stars of the Grand Ole Opry in the 1930s. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Biography - Arthur Smith. Composer of one of the all-time best selling guitar instrumentals "Guitar Boogie" and the all-time best selling banjo instrumental – "Dueling Banjos." (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith. Arthur Smith (born April 1, 1921 in Clinton, South Carolina) is an American musician and songwriter. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Vernon Grant. Vernon Grant (1902 - July 1990) was a book and magazine and illustrator best known as the creator of the Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal characters Snap, Crackle and Pop. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Snap, Crackle and Pop. Snap, Crackle and Pop! are the cartoon mascots of Kellogg's breakfast cereal Rice Krispies (Rice Bubbles in Australia). (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Rock Hill Downtown Historic District. The Rock Hill Downtown Historic District contains twelve contributing buildings that are of importance to the growth and development of the City of Rock Hill. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About the Andrew Jackson Hotel
The Andrew Jackson Hotel was undertaken with a broad community's effort thorough and sale of stock by the Community Hotel Corporation of Rock Hill. Local business leaders felt that the city must have a first-class hotel to help maintain its growth. It was designed by Charles Coker Wilson, perhaps the leading architect in South Carolina in the early 1900s. Wilson, who led the first statewide organization of architects in the state, designed a number of important commercial, educational, religious, and residential buildings and served as City Engineer for Columbia and architect for the State House. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
2. Charles C. Wilson
Charles C. Wilson. Probably the most widely known architect in South Carolina, with a reputation and influence extending far beyond the borders of the state, and esteemed no less by his professional colleagues than by his clientele, is Mr. Charles Coker Wilson of Columbia.
His Scotch-Irish and Welsh ancestors were prominent among the early settlers of the Pee Dee, and all four of his great-grandfathers, Dr. James P. Wilson, Enoch Evans, Thomas Coker and Maj. Robert Lide, did valiant service for American independence in the partisan warfare under Gen. Francis Marion.
Mr. Wilson was born at Hartsville in Darlington County on November 20, 1864, and spent his boyhood on a plantation near there and in the village of Society Hill. He attended the country schools of the neighborhood, and later made his way through the South Carolina College. He graduated in 1886 in the course of mechanics and engineering under Maj. Benjamin Sloan, with the degree of A. B., and at once secured appointment as first assistant engineer for the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens Railroad under Mr. Charles Ellis as chief engineer.
In his work for the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens Railroad he was stationed for one year in Columbia as resident engineer in charge
Mr. Wilson's early career was devoted to civil engineering, and notwithstanding a decided preference for architecture, he has never entirely abandoned that field, and has nearly always had some engineering work on hand. His practice has included railway location and construction, bridges, highways, water supply, sewerage and sewage disposal.
He was the first to propose the "sand-clay" method of road surfacing, which has since been so widely adopted for light traffic roads, and his work as city engineer of Columbia, 1896-1899, prepared the way for the great development of municipal works in that city a few years later. Under his
leadership public opinion was crystallized for progress, and he was the author of the constitutional amendment relieving bond issues for waterworks and sewers from the narrow limits formerly imposed, and thus making possible the development of such works not only in Columbia, but in Charleston, Florence, Rock Hill and other cities. Later he was the author of another amendment permitting the assessment of abutting property for street improvements, making possible the extensive paving programs in many South Carolina cities.
In architecture Mr. Wilson's practice has covered North and South Carolina, and has extended into Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Alabama, and he has to his credit many of the most important buildings in those states. At Gastonia, North Carolina, and the surrounding territory, his practice is so large that he maintains a branch office in charge of his close friend, Mr. Hugh E. White.
His work is characterized always by direct, straightforward and eminently practical planning, by great simplicity and dignity of architectural expression and by sound and substantial construction.
Mr. Wilson has long recognized that the practice of architecture has grown too complicated and covers too wide a field to be successfully handled by one man, and has surrounded himself with a staff of able co-workers especially skilled in the several branches of the work, and has devoted his own efforts largely to executive functions, the business administration of construction under his charge, and the co-ordination of the efforts of his associates in the office and field.
In professional practice Mr. Wilson has always stood for high standards and ideals, and to his constant efforts is due in no slight degree the almost complete abandonment in this territory of illicit commissions.
He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and of the American Institute of Architects, and enjoys the distinction of a fellowship in the latter body, which is conferred only upon one "who shall have notably contributed to the advancement of the profession in design, instruction, literature or education."
Mr. Wilson was a leader in the organization of the State Associations of Architects and of the Chapters of the American Institute of Architects in both North Carolina and South Carolina, and was the first president of each of these .bodies in his own state.
When the law was passed in 1917 to define the qualifications for the practice of architecture in South Carolina, and to provide for the examination and registration of architects, Governor Manning appointed Mr. Wilson a member of the State Board of Architectural Examiners, and upon the organization of the board he was elected chairman, which position he still holds.
Mr. Wilson married Miss Adeline Selby of Columbia, and they have two talented daughters, Alice Elizabeth and jean Livingstone Wilson. The former is a graduate of the College for Women in Columbia under Miss McClintock, has done postgraduate work for two terms at Columbia University, New York, and is now engaged in journalistic work in Baltimore. The latter is still a student at Chicora College for Women in Columbia, and is specializing in art. (Source: History of South Carolina, Volume IV by Yates Snowden (1920), pgs 182-183.)
— Submitted January 15, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,330 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 5. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.