Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Stone Church
Haven for the Wounded
To your right is the “Old Stone Church” used as a Union hospital by Assistant Surgeon David L. Magruder, who later wrote that he “took possession of a stone church, pleasantly situated in a grove of timber, directly … to the right of the road we had passed on advancing t the attack.” The numerous casualties treated here and in other nearby hospitals overwhelmed the Federal medical service, which was not well-organized, had too few ambulances, and lacked trained personnel. The church served as a Union hospital again during the Second Battle of Manassas in August 1862. Both armies used these roads and occupied this area several times during the war. Soldiers dismantled the church, but it was rebuilt in 1870.
Behind the church to the south stood the largest fort in the Confederate defensive
Pvt. Frank Thompson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, served as a nurse here after the battle to 1861. Thompson was in reality Sarah Emma Edmonds (1841–1898), one of hundreds of women who assumed male garb to participate in the war. Edmonds wrote a book, Nurse and Spy in the Union Army, recounting her experiences and later received a pension for her service.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 50.473′ N, 77° 25.802′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Braddock Road west of Lee Highway (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling west. There has been a lot of street alignment and name changes in this section of Centreville, so be sure to have the latest map. This is the short section of Braddock Road that is not connected to the other Braddock Roads. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centreville Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Minnie Minter Carter Saunders (within shouting distance of this marker); Archaeology at Newgate Tavern (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Convicts and Slaves (about 500 feet away); Newgate Tavern (about 500 feet away); Mount Gilead Historic Site (about 700 feet away); St. John’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Place on the High Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
More about this marker. One in the series of Virginia Civil War Trails markers.
Also see . . . Civil War Photographs of Centreville. These photos are on Frank Harrell's website. (Submitted on September 17, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 5,613 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on February 6, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 6. submitted on September 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on February 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.