Farm Manager's Office
18th Century to the Present
Like the other structures on this site, this square building reflects a combination of eras. There are sections dating to the 18th century as well as evidence of a wood-burning stove, a more modern convenience. The building's earliest use is unknown, but it was most likely an office in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
In 1916, Jeremiah Johnson hired farmer J.W. Savage to farm, fertilize and maintain the fences at Windsor Castle, Savage grew Irish potatoes, watermelon, oats, sweet potatoes, peanuts, corn, soybeans and peas. He also maintained horses, sheep and pigs. This office provided space for Savage to keep track of crops, sales, and purchases for the farm.
In 1917, the site was purchased by Charles Betts who continued to contract out the farm. This small building was the hub of farm activity.
Erected by Smithfield Parks & Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 36° 58.687′ N, 76° 37.492′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Windsor Castle Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Kitchen and Laundry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smokehouse (about 300 feet away); Joseph W. Luter, III (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Longleaf Pine in Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Liquid Maze (approx. Ό mile away); Smithfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Todd House & the First Smithfield Ham (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.