McFaddin in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Infant Jesus of Prague Catholic Church
Built through the generosity of James A. and A.M. McFaddin in 1916, this church began as a mission of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Victoria. It was established to serve Catholics in the Marianna (later McFaddin) community, including workers on the McFaddin Ranch. An important local landmark, the redwood church building features shiplap siding and an attached entry bay at the gable front topped by a woodencross.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6552.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 28° 33.093′ N, 97° 0.685′ W. Marker is in McFaddin, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 445 0.1 miles east of McCann Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McFaddin TX 77973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McFaddin Mercantile (approx. 0.2 miles away); McFaddin Post OfficePreston Rose Austin (approx. 10 miles away); Original Mission Refugio (approx. 12.3 miles away); Victoria County C.S.A. (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Also see . . . McFaddin, James Alfred (1840–1916).
McFaddin bought up land in Victoria County in the fork between the Guadalupe and San Antonio rivers in 1878 and moved his family there around 1881. During these years he began to incorporate Brahman blood into his herds; he was one of the earliest cattlemen to do so. By 1879 he had begun cross-breeding experiments which later resulted in a recognized new breed under his grandson, Claude K. McCan. He continued to use the M6 brand, designed by his father in 1837, and added the N6 and Z brands. McFaddin was also one of the first to fence pastures with barbed wire, and he drained and reclaimed about 5,000 acres of swampland by building a twelve-mile levee along the Guadalupe River. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.