Eisenhower Interstate System
In August 1973, the U.S. Congress Designated a cross-country stretch of interstate as the "Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway," in tribute to President Eisenhower's early recognition of the need for national network of highways to enhance the mobility of a growing nation. His dream originated in 1919 on an Army convoy from Washington D.C to San Francisco, California a journey that took 62 days.
On June 29,1956, President Eisenhower signed the
historic legislation that created the National System of
Interstate and Defense Highways and the Federal
Highway Trust Fund. The pay-as-you-go mechanism
through which U.S. motorists have funded the
construction and upkeep of the U.S. highway system.
Today, that system stands as a monument to
Eisenhower's vision as a young Army officer - a legacy
of safety and mobility that has brought all Americans
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1956.
Location. 40° 2.333′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “S” Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Washington (approx. 2˝ miles away); Morgan’s Raiders (approx. 2˝ miles away); Morgan’s Raid in Old Washington (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Bodies of Three Confederate Cavalrymen (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Washington (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lore City Honor Roll (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lore City (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on February 7, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.