The Todd House & the First Smithfield Ham
In this house, in about 1780, Captain Mallory Todd cured the first commercially produced Smithfield hams, which were shipped to customers in England.
Hams were cured on this site from 1779 to 1936. The original Todd warehouse stood on the adjacent lot until the 1950's.
The home of the original Smithfield ham as it appeared in the early 1900's. The venerable structure was torn down tin the 1950's.
A 1779 invoice for one of the earliest Smithfield hams ever commercially produced. It was sold by Capt. Mallory Todd to Ellerston and John Perot on the island of St. Eustatius in the West Indies.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 58.97′ N, 76° 37.792′ W. Marker is in Smithfield, Virginia, in Isle of Wight County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Commerce Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Main St, Smithfield VA 23430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.