North Baltimore in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
North Baltimore / Community Firsts
Located in southern Wood County, the village of New Baltimore was founded in 1860, with the first plat of twenty-nine acres recorded by B.L. Peters in 1873. Official incorporation occurred February 7, 1876, with the name being changed to North Baltimore in 1880. The town flourished owing to the construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1873, from which the town took its name, and the discovery of rich oil and gas deposits in 1886. First settlers included: Jacob Dirk, George Franks, Levi A. Tarr, and B.L. Peters. The population of the village grew from 700 in 1880 to 2,857 in 1890. One of the first buildings, which was erected in 1860, served as a school and meeting hall and was located on the northwest corner of Main and Broadway streets. This area, then known as "The Great Black Swamp," had given birth to a thriving town.
1812 General Hull's army marched along Rocky Ford Creek at the southeast edge of town on their way to Detroit
1834 Beeson Gristmill established along Rocky Ford Creek, north of E. Broadway
1874 First post office opened,
1875 First newspaper, The New Baltimore Enterprise, founded by B.L. and D.E. Peters
1876 B.L. Peters elected first mayor
1884 Henry's Opera House, 129 N. Main Street, dedicated by Dr. A.G. Henry
1886 First oil well struck; First gas well established
1888 People's Bank organized, closed in 1894, purchased by Hardy Banking Co., 1896
1888 Central Pressed Brick Co. opened, producing 8,000,000 bricks annually
1888 Zihlman Glass Company opened, making 1,000 drinking glasses a day
1890 City Hall built at 205 N. Main Street. cost $5,925, razed May 1985
1890-91 North Baltimore Electric Company founded at 115 W. State Street by Dr. Henry
1902 Toledo, Bowling Green & Southern Electric Interurban (streetcar) Line completed, later abandoned in 1930
Erected 1997 by Village of North Baltimore and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-87.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 230 N Main Street, North Baltimore OH 45872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. North Baltimore (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Village of Van Buren (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Village of McComb (approx. 7.7 miles away); St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 8 miles away); McComb First Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); World War I and II Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); McComb Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); William Bensinger and John R. Porter (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. North Baltimore History. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of North Baltimore and Henry Township. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on February 8, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.