Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Monroe in Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wisser Hall: From Books To War Games

Fort Monroe

 
 
Wisser Hall: From Books To War Games Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 6, 2021
1. Wisser Hall: From Books To War Games Marker
Inscription.  
Completed in 1909, Wisser Hall (Building #138) originally served as the Coast Artillery School Library. Four floors of stacks in the rear wing held up to 60,000 volumes. Noted architect Francis B. Wheaton designed the building. It was named after Brigadier General John P. Wisser.

After World War II, the building was converted to office space and used by subsequent army commands headquartered at Fort Monroe. It was most recently occupied by the US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). During that time, the building was devoted to war-gaming exercise and analysis.

Look on the main stairway for two plaques commemorating the high water marks of the Chesapeake-Potomac Hurricane in 1933 and Hurricane Isabel in 2003.

Architectural Gem
Wisser Hall was clearly meant to serve as a showpiece for the Coast Artillery School. Its classical façade is in the Beaux Arts architectural style and features Flemish bond brick walls on a limestone foundation. Inside you will find the most luxurious ornamentation of any Fort Monroe former command building, including elaborate moldings and ironwork, terrazzo flooring,

Wisser Hall: From Books To War Games Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 6, 2021
2. Wisser Hall: From Books To War Games Marker
marble stairs, and a columned hall.

[Captions:]
Brigadier General John P. Wisser was closely associated with the US Artillery School and later the Coast Artillery School throughout his army career. He was stationed at Fort Monroe numerous times. His publication on artillery propellants was a standard text in the school for many years.

Flemish bond is a decorative style of brickwork in which bricks are laid in an alternating pattern of short sides (headers) and long sides (stretchers) facing outwards.
 
Erected by Fort Monroe Authority; National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWar, Cold.
 
Location. 37° 0.132′ N, 76° 18.663′ W. Marker is in Fort Monroe in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is on Ingalls Road just north of Fenwick Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Ingalls Rd, Fort Monroe VA 23651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Why Was The Fort Built Here? (a few steps from this marker); A Bay Worth Preserving (a few steps from this marker); Hurricane Isabel (a few steps from this marker); Flood of August 23, 1933 (a few steps

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
from this marker); Fort Algernourne (a few steps from this marker); Who Built Fort Monroe? (within shouting distance of this marker); How Big Is Fort Monroe? (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Monroe's Arc Of Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Monroe.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021